Sunday, September 27, 2009

STATEMENT OF MY TEACHING PHILOSOPHY

STATEMENT OF MY TEACHING PHILOSOPHY

George Viveros

Nowadays the younger generations have come to realize that failure is an option to give up on their schooling; their personal lives when the adversities or obstacles reach an overbearing point. There are many types of students where the numerous and various aspects of lifestyles have a tremendous impact on what the future holds for them. Inner-city people growing up in the diverse world within Los Angeles have seen every form of hardships, misfortunes and harsh conditions that allow for students to renounce their school status and seek other opportunities to better their lives. As one of those types of children living in a violent world with seemingly little-to-no support from the school system, let alone the family. I found a way to survive and mature myself to better myself, not on the streets, but in the classroom. I was not the greatest student, but seeing that my choices in life were either prison or death, I furthered my education and sought out assistance. I did not exactly make the transition as smooth as I expected or anticipated; however, my pursuit did not end because of an adversity or obstacle.

I have had many travels and experiences in my days, but the most rewarding one has been with my education. I am forty-one and have been out of school for quite some time. After graduating from high school, I went through ordeals that eventually put me into the military. I ended up serving for over fifteen years before being too disabled to continue my duties any further. As a member of the Armed Forces, I took those beliefs and standards and applied them to a more prosperous outcome. I become highly skilled in the medical and supervisory fields that permitted me to gain the expertise to generate those that were in my management to increase their training and abilities to function as a unit. I was an educator, trainer, and administrator for years, in and out of the military, while working for different types of students. I worked with the challenging and difficult students for most schools and took the position to better myself; however, the benefits were not aimed for me entirely, but geared more for the kids who did not see the light at the end of the tunnel or just plain gave up on life and family.

With teaching, especially in the special education field, I seek to gain and retain valuable knowledge that will enhance my skills to give back to students and help those that may not have the skills to do so on their own. I am the oldest of ten and have been brought up and raised at home and in the military to take care of others before myself, and I will not let the fight go undone or not have them unprepared to battle. I am one to make many sacrifices and deviations from my own wants and needs, but it is for a better purpose. I have traveled to almost forty countries and all but five of the United States; through my experiences, I have seen different types of people with culture, languages, customs, religions, traditions, health conditions, etc. I am one that loves to learn and seek more knowledge, not at the expense of anyone, but for the betterment of them all. Special Education is a very serious matter and it takes a very strong-willed and encouraging person to handle and maintain their discipline to encounter this subject and endure the process and outcomes.

As an educator, I am firm, but fair in my approach in an equal and consistent foundation. In my style I utilize the lecture method in several ways that are applicable to all students; furthermore, I do not limit my lectures to the mere conveying of the vocabulary, concepts, or areas of instruction. I tend to manifest my tactics that can be comprehended and retained for the practical, listener, and verbal styles of students. In such I bring into play handouts with written format and illustrations; go over the process in each technique with students participating in group and individual presentations. I have had experiences that have my proficient and sufficient capabilities apply my teaching to all students while adapting and compensating for any discrepancies or disabilities (i.e. reading, comprehension, didactic, writing, or application skills). The seriousness of the students that I have taught showed how their personal attitudes and lifestyles played an intricate part of how, when, and if they would continue or excel in their schooling. In reaching these students, it took several adopted behavior and habit changes to generate the confidence and self-esteem that they needed to be successful.

In the classroom, the most important aspect is the classroom management, but to ensure that these students took part or contributed to their efforts, the process of walking around double-checking their work and developing problem-solving competence. The work may have been a struggle for them, but when I went over the assignment or instruction, I also had review or tutoring sessions before taking an exam. Those that failed or did not meet the standards were re-trained and then re-tested. In this fashion, the testing did not have to be the written design because those with language barriers or lack of learning styles received an alternative choice, such as verbal expression or hands-on exercise.

Today’s children and students seem to want the glory, but not the story. Spoon-feeding is the more positive manner of learning and getting the grade. As a well respected and commanding instructor, the students must earn their grades. I do not give out grades; the students get the score based on the results of their efforts. I apply the concept of what you put in is what you get out. Students not only need to feel confident about they do, but also have their direction implemented positively from their inner-self. As one who has overcome many trials and tribulations, I do not want these or any students to go through the paths that I have endured; additionally, if that trail has been taken, it is my personal and professional obligation to get them back on the correct track towards a successful and meaningful future. I feel that it is better to be pro active with my methods because these students tend to find out things the hard way. This is why I am truly dedicated and committed to teach in and out of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment