Sunday, October 25, 2009

RESEARCH ~ Project and Process

I have never participated in any such process for a research project for any university, especially for UTEP. When I witnessed the presentation of IRB committee, it appeared that the process a tedious and attention-detailed ordeal; furthermore, the information provided made it very effective with the numerous and various checklists from those that present their research to those that review the proposal. I have been part of a smaller type proposal process, and seeing that there is a need to cross all "T's" and dot every "I" means that there is no room for error or slacking of the process.

What I was a part of involved a matter of presenting a new Allied Health program for a vocational school, which had many members have their expertise indicate the purpose and use of this new program, along with the financial and educational factors in their determination. My involvement was not alone in this presentation, but because of my expertise in the medical field, I was able to devise my program much more effectively; however, the process did not end with the paperwork and then a mere quick or haste approval. It incorporated the executive management, corporate office, other educators, attorneys/legal advisers for the school, and those that were part of the actual program. This process took more time than I or others had anticipated. Because it was going to be a huge influence and impact on the school, timing and focusing on ALL details meant more revenue for the school or a financial burden for initiating it.

In this class seminar, there are reviewers for the specific research and the return time for this process seemed rather reasonable. With the proper documents and information conveyed, there is more chance of being pro active with the electronic submission rather than awaiting any errors and need for improvement or correction. I truly enjoyed how the cooperation of the IRB presenters made matters very approachable and acceptable to have those seeking funds for their research projects much more feasible. I was also impressed that not only was there a process to follow and a wealth of information, but more importantly, the enthusiasm and encouragement of those seeking to pursue their goals of this outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment